Thursday, April 23, 2009

Change is coming...."Rough Rough"!

Well, apparently I'm boring some of you (Megan). I don't have much to say, but I'll do my best to enterain.

(First of all, forgive me for the corny title. I know Matt's going to make fun of me for that)

So, I know a lot of people talk about the transition of adding a member to a family and how difficult that can be when there are other siblings involved. Well Hannah does not have any human siblings, but her big "brothers" Mike and Wally are somewhat confused about what is going on with their "mommy". Just in the past week, Mike and Wally have decided not to eat. Well not completely, they're not starving but they are picking and choosing when they eat, probably trying to gain control over the household. Mike has been shying away from me on certain days like he's scared of me...I can't imagine that my growing belly is that scary to him!? Wally has been really needy of attention and petting lately, which is unlike his independent personality. He will stand on two legs and hold his little paws out like he wants me to pick him up, he does the same thing to Matt too. It's so cute, but I'm wondering if they can really sense a change coming. The hospital offers sibling classes to prepare for the new baby, but no one has mentioned anything about pets. I'm tempted to call and ask....not really ;)

So if anyone has advice on how to adjust dogs to a new baby in the house let me know. I've heard to carry diapers or blankets on you so they get used to the scent of the baby. If you're reading this and beginning to worry about baby Hannah being around the boys (mike and wally), don't worry. We don't plan to officially introduce them for a while. The boys have their own space/bachelor pad that is seperate from where we are.

I know they'll be great big brothers one day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried putting Wally in a high chair? Seems to me he wants to be held and hand fed, and a high chair would make it easier. If not, you could also try bottle feeding. With Mike....hmmmm let's try baby food. I'm sure Rachel Rae has some of that too.
(By the way you have to put the story about the treats on your blog)
Seriously, I'm sure they do sense something new.....like why is her belly growing and not Matt's. They are smarter than we give them credit....Don't worry too much, it'll be something new next week. It's just the start of motherhood. haha mimi

BD said...

hey from Brian Downs! Cool blog. I got your thank you note - thanks a lot! I am really excited for you two!!! See you soon. Take care.

Karen said...

UNBELIEVEABLE! The best rememdy for this is the POUND! Just kidding... anyway, it is sooo funny to read all this. Please call the hospital and ask them about adjustment classes for dogs. I can just hear the response... "What the heck are you talk about? Classes for dogs?" Please hold while I connect you to the mental ward...."