Friday, January 29, 2010

Cookin' for my baby


Now that Hannah is eating at least two solid meals a day, I decided to try to make her food myself. It seemed simple enough so I checked out some books from the library and put Hannah in her bouncer and went at it. I think I had the most fun taking pictures of the food. Here's how I did it:

First I found some basic recipes to start with:

butternut squash

Apples!

This will be a future recipe

Then I bought organic ingredients. Matt and I don't eat strictly organic, but for Hannah I am being a little more cautious about her food for now. Total for everything was $13 and some change.


Then I washed, peeled (my least favorite part, took FOR EVER!), and diced everything.

Steamed to slightly soften, but not enough to extract the good nutrients. (forgot to take pictures of that part)


Pureed in a blender

and Sifted the apples only, just to make sure I removed all the skin. Since I didn't sift the carrots, they have the texture of level 2 baby foods but that is fine, Hannah is getting the hang of it. (not pictured either)


Then froze into portion sized cubes using ice cube trays

So all in all it took about 1.5 hours to do all the preparing and tend to my little one, and then I just froze in batches for the next 8-10 hours. It definitely tastes better than the canned baby food. The butternut squash is my favorite and Hannah's too. We do use the canned stuff also when we're out or on the go. So we're one week down and have barely made a dent in the stash. I think it may save a little bit of money but knowing that there are no preservatives and how it was prepared is the most important thing.


Since I've started feeding Hannah solids it's made me think more about the types of foods that I eat. She is eating so healthy like we all should. I'm trying to limit our use of processed foods and then slowly cut back on refined sugar and white flour... except for the occasional treat. It will be a process but I think it's doable. I hope Matt feels the same ;) Hi honey!

Next Up....

Asparagus puree?

Don't think so

2 comments:

Karen said...

WOW! You are such a wonderful Mommie! The pics are just great! You should consider growing some of your own veggies in raised gardens or even in pots in your back yard.

Anonymous said...

Indeed you are the best mom. I bet if you break down the cost it would be less expensive than bought baby food. (even though it is organic) Plus it is sooo much better for her. Great job....I'm soooo proud of you.
love ya, mom