In an effort to be more frugal, I decided to try to make one of our favorite snacks from the grocery store... vanilla wafers. I found a recipe online and they are super yummy. They don't taste exactly like the real deal (they're a little thinner and more crispy) but they are almost better. Then mom suggested I take it a step further and use them in her homemade banana pudding recipe. Well, I just made it and it looks delicious!! I'm waiting until Matt gets home to dig in.
Homemade Vanilla Wafers
1 1/3 cup flour
8tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Preheat 350. Cream butter, sugar, and salt together. Add egg, vanilla, and milk. Sift in flour and baking powder. Stir until combined. Spoon 1/2 tsp. size balls onto cookie sheet. Bake about 12 min. If tops are not brown, I turn the broiler on for a minute or two until they look golden brown.
Mom's Banana Pudding
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. corn starch
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Stir milk, sugar, and cornstarch over medium until it starts to thicken. Temper the egg yolks (add a spoonful of the hot mixture to the egg yolks and stir until the eggs are at the same temp as the pot, that way they don't turn into scrambled eggs) Cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Cool. Layer wafers, pudding, bananas . Crumble wafers on top for special effects :) haha. ENJOY!!
...now if I could only find a recipe for Goldfish and Lance Peanut butter crackers.
2 comments:
Gee whiz.....homemade nilla wafers, pudding from scratch....hmmmm, sounds like you have a good baby.
I love the updates....keep them coming.
love ya, mom
Go Vols!!
I cannot wait to try the wafers - and we love banana pudding. Hannah looks like she is ready for football season! RA RA!
Post a Comment